The death of Aaron Schwartz is an unspeakable tragedy. His
life touched not only his family and personal friends but millions of people:
his work on RSS and reddit helped revolutionize the way we use the internet,
and his recent legal troubles have brought into to stark relief the ethical and
legal questions/concerns that make open access publishing among the most vital
aspects of academic freedom for the 21st century academic writer.
Much has already been said about Schwartz death and what we can do to prevent
the kind of (IMO) overzealous prosecution that characterized the JSTOR
debacle. (In response to Mr. Schwartz’s
death, Lawrence
Lessig and Joe
Moxley have written thoughtful posts about the need for academics to get
involved in the open access movement both by publishing their work in open
access venues and by working to effect legal change.) I don’t wish to add too
much to this conversation. Now is a time mainly for grief and for reflection.
I, like Lessig, Moxley, David
Parry, and others believe that we have an ethical responsibility to support
open access publishing, and we have to do more.
But I also want to pause and perhaps do something that
Lessig, in particular, warns against. I want to remind us – those who feel so passionate
about the causes that Mr. Schwartz championed – that suicide – in general – is not
an appropriate response to stress. I’m not speaking here to this case
specifically because, like most of you, I don’t know the specifics of Mr.
Schwartz’s thought process leading up to his tragic decision to end his own
life. Nor do I wish to absolve the overzealous prosecutor(s) of their
responsibility in (what I think Lessig rightly calls) bullying Mr. Schwartz
despite JSTOR’s decision not to prosecute. The point I want to make here – as someone
who has lost too many friends and family members to suicide – is that even the
kind of horrifying stress associated with this overzealous criminal prosecution shouldn't result in a, by all accounts, bright, kind, thoughtful man’s suicide.
My aunt was a similarly bright, kind, thoughtful woman. She dedicated
her life to others first as a nurse in the Air Force and later as a nun who
worked for 30 years to better the lives of mentally challenged adults. And,
after a series of increasingly horrifying accusations and name-calling from her
mother, she locked herself in her bedroom and shot herself. This action was not
a reasonable response to her circumstances; it was, rather, a tragic
combination of circumstances and mental illness, and saying so doesn't absolve
her mother of responsibility for the terrible things she said.
As so many recent incidents should have taught us, one of
the great tragedies of modern America is our lack of access to and cultural
distrust of mental health services. So
alongside the vitally important conversations we’re having about changes
to the criminal code and academic publishing models, perhaps we should also
consider how we might change the culture of shame that often permeates
discussions of depression, bipolar disorder, and other mental health issues
that too often result in tragic suicides that steal from us some of the
brightest and kindest among us.
Yes. Yes to all of this.
ReplyDelete